Ermioni - Old Village

Whilst visiting Ermioni, it is worth exploring the Old Village of Ermioni.  It still has a certain authentic charm about it.  The locals are very friendly and welcome visitors.  Wander through the small backstreets and see the local villagers at work and play. 

In the Old Village visit Vivi and her family at the fresh fruit and vegitable shop, who have a good selection of fresh produce daily. Prices might be slightly higher in the Old Village, however, it is convenient for the elderly local residents and supporting the local traders is important, otherwise it will be yet another business that closes down, which would cause certain hardship to the elderly villagers who may not have transport.  Many businesses have already closed down, like the bakery, butchers and mini-market, or re-located to the small plateia* square, behind the Limani port. However, the Old Village really comes to life during the numerous religious festivals that revolve around the two main churches. 

To find the Old Village, head uphill from the harbours towards the churches of Taxiarches (Archangels) and Panaghia (Holy Virgin). You can follow the museum direction signs from the Limani main square up to the old village museums and village library.

For visitors who need to bring their laptops, there is the Village Library which opened in 2008, and offers free Wi-Fi connection. The library is situated in the corner, next door to the fresh fruit and vegitable shop, behind the original village school built in 1888.  Many Greek books are available in the library, with a selection of European books to select from.  The success of the library has been thanks to private donations and volunteers.  The library is open 18:00 - 20:30 Monday-Friday, 10:00 - 12:00 on Saturday.

There is the Ermioni Museum of History and Folklore which is worth a visit.  The museum is located behind the garden with the two Mitsas' brothers memorial statues, adjacent to the Taxiarches church.  It is set in a renovated 18th Centuary building that was used for the third Hellenic National Assembly in 1827, at the time of the Greek War of Independence.  The museum is spread over two floors, with the upper floor being the place where the actual Assembly took place.  The museum is open throughout the year, although you have to bear in mind it is run by volunteers, who sometimes don't get chance to attend.  Winter: 17:00 - 19:00.  Summer: 19:00 - 21:00. Open every evening 19:00 - 21:00 during August and most public holidays.  Admission: Free.

The Ermioni Toy Museum opened in August 2013 and has a good display of traditional and historic toys from the late 19th and mid 20th Centuries.  The Toy Museum is located behind the Panaghia church, in a restored traditional 2-storey building.  The museum has a selection of old metal and wooden toys, a traditional Greek puppet theatre, a selection of figures and dolls, compulsory school uniforms and school books from years gone by.  It is worth a visit whilst you are in the area.  Open in the Summer months, 19:00 - 21:00 and most public holidays and festivals.  Admission: Free

The Old Village has two Orthodox churches, the 9th Century Byzantine Taxiarches (Archangels) Metropolis church and the newer 1920's Panaghia (Holy Virgin) church, which are both beautiful inside, decorated with wonderful paintings, frescos and icons.  The priests' for both churches are Papa Yiannis (Taxiarches) and Papa Dimitris (Panaghia), father and son, who both welcome visitors to attend service, or just look around.  Regretably, the churches are only open during services and cleaning, whilst someone in authority is present. The largest festivals are Easter (Paskha) in the Spring, The Dormition - Sleeping of the Virgin (Panaghia) in August and Taxiarches Day in November, which is only celebrated in Ermioni.  For all festival dates, check Festivals in Ermioni.

*O Mastoras (the Master) gyros-bar, which many regular visitors to Ermioni enjoyed, and fondly refered to as the 'Holy Gyros', has sadly closed in the old village. The gyros-bar has relocated to the back square, behind the Limani main street.  Costas, Yiota and their family continue to serve their tasty pitta-gyros wraps, kalamaki's, gyros merida's, chicken 'specials' and fresh Greek salads in their new location.  

Location

Ermioni Old Village
Ermionida Argolida Peloponnese
Greece
37° 23' 7.5984" N, 23° 14' 41.3808" E
Picture Gallery
Locals sitting outside the old butchers shop in the Old Village Yorgos from the friendly village butcher's shop has now closed The village 'Meet Market' has closed - relocated to Kranidi Old Village commercial centre by the Panaghia church Old Village fruit and vegetable shop The original Kapodistiran school built in 1888 New village library opened in 2008 Village library interior where free Wi-Fi is available Ermioni museum of history and folklore courtyard Mitsas' monument in the museum garden Old Village street leading up to Taxiarches church Typical houses in the Old Village backstreets Old Village streets leading down to the sea Hellenistic walls in the Old Village opposite Taxiarches church Recently restored exterior of Taxiarches church Agioi Taxiarches - Restoration completed in 2016 Taxiarches (Archangels) church interior Panaghia (Holy Virgin) 1920's church interior Panaghia church in the Old Village of Ermioni  Ermioni Old Village proximity  Toy Museum located behind the Panaghia church Traditional Greek puppet theatre in the Toy Museum Old school uniform and school photographs on display Large scene of Ermioni children and their toys at play